Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Washington Cyclists Could Pay Extra Tax

In a demonstration of complete ignorance to current climate science, Washington State Representative Ed Orcutt claimed in an email that cyclists contribute to greenhouse emissions by breathing harder when they ride.  In an email to bike shop owner Dale Carson he said:

"Since CO2 is deemed to be a greenhouse gas and a pollutant, bicyclists are actually polluting when they ride,"

Rep. Orcutt has introduced a bill that would levy a 5% tax on new bicycles that cost more than $500.  He argues that this is fair because cyclists do not pay any transportation tax.  Motorists pay a tax when they register their cars and there is a tax on gas.  These help pay for the roads and other places cyclists ride.  I ride and I also have a car, which means I do pay the normal taxes.  While I don't live in Washington state, I have a problem with his argument.  

The 5% tax would be added to the sales tax you already pay.  This means you could end up paying 11% or more extra for your new bike.  My advice?  Go get your bike in Oregon should this pass.

This kind of thing is a great indicator on why very little seems to get done politically on climate change.  They just don't get it.  I don't need, nor am I really qualified, to go over the science of climate change with you.  This is simply ridiculous on its face.

He has since apologized for his statements.

"My point was that by not driving a car, a cyclist was not necessarily having a zero-carbon footprint," He said in the email, according to Reuters. "In looking back, it was not a point worthy of even mentioning so, again, I apologize."

No comments:

Post a Comment